What are fillings?
A filling is a restorative material that when placed in a cavity (hole) restores the function or aesthetic appearance of a tooth, ideally both. When a tooth is damaged through injury or decay, a filling may be used. The fillings can be of different materials, Amalgam, Composite resin, Glass Ionomer.
What are the benefits of fillings?
- These types of fillings can usually be placed in one visit.
- They are ideal for small-medium sized cavities.
- Composites give excellent aesthetic results.
- The fewer appointments can make them a cost and time effective option.
- In cases where the damage is greater, indirect restorations may be required instead.
- Indirect restorations include: inlays/onlays and crowns.